Saturday, January 22, 2011

Army on the Move/ Army on the Ground

Army on the Move/ Army on the Ground
Army on the Move/ Army on the Ground

     Betty rubbed her rough hands over her gray hair."Will they come here?" Her tone was quiet but the man could hear her concern.       "They absolutely will and my canola will all be screwed."        Her son had always been 100% sure of every thing he said but Betty hoped it wouldn't happen.
       " Jerry's fields down at Parker's are overrun already; it's just a matter of a few days. I drove by there this morning and you could easily see where they had eaten and where they had not been yet."
        Betty said nothing. The kettle sounded on the stove and she stood up, rummaging with the tea things at the counter. They both drank their tea in silence.
       "I better go.  Can you look after Sarah this afternoon? Jane is at work afternoons"
       As the truck moved out of the yard Betty sipped the last of her tea. "I know the crops are important but my saskatoons look so good this year."

No comments:

Post a Comment